Monday, June 11, 2007

Kate's MRI






Some of you have been around Kate and know about her birthmarks...some of you live far away and the only thing you see are the pics I put on here. Kate has a total of six birthmarks. Three of them are the kind called hemangiomas (strawberries). These are usually no big deal and will go away in time. She has a pretty good sized one on her chest and a small one on the left side of her forehead almost in the hairline. After speaking with our pediatrician, Jared and I decided not to worry about it, to hope they go away, and then if for some reason they didn't go away and she became self-conscious about them then we would do something about it at that point.
Well, it was a good plan and still is as far as those two marks are concerned. However, she now has one in her nasal passage. Looking back, I believe it's been there for several months now, but I chalked it up to being swollen. She has had colds off and on...I use the suction bulb on her and I thought maybe it was my fault she had a swollen nostril. But we were Fort Smith and my dad took notice and was concerned. So we took her to the pediatrician who seemed very sure it was another hemangioma. The only problem was that it hinders her breathing (especially when she is congested) and it's distorting her nose a little bit. It's not very noticeable and we are definitely not freaking out but if we can prevent her from distortion and any problems later then we need to.
So we were referred to Arkansas Childrens Hospital in Little Rock. She had to have an MRI last Friday and we see the Pediatric ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctor on the 18th. The MRI isn't that big of a deal,but in order to keep a nine month old still, she had to go under general anesthesia. It was very hard for us to surrender and entrust our baby girl to doctors, nurses, and medical personnel that we had never seen nor met. I cried. But she did GREAT! The hardest part was her not being able eat for 9 hours prior to the procedure. We got up at 5:30am, checked in at 8:30am, did a medical work-up with the nurses, and they took her back at 10:30am. They came and got us at noon to come back to recovery. She was still asleep, so the beautiful part was she went to sleep with us there and woke up with us there. She coughed and cried but within about twenty minutes she was pretty much back to normal.
My dad is getting the report today...nice to have a doc in the family. We'll keep you posted. Please pray for her when you think of it.

3 comments:

Amy Stroup said...

Your little Kate is so beautiful! And what a trooper getting that MRI. I can't imagine doing that for my little bundle at such a young age - way to go mom and dad, you were brave too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill!
You really are the cutest family ever. I LOVE seeing pictures of everything and oh how I wish we lived in the same town. Hey I have been trying to call you lately, but it says your home phone is disconnected and my cell went dead and I lost more than half of my numbers, including your most recent cell number...would you mind emailing me or calling me and lets plan a time to talk, it's been far too long :)
Love, Ashley

Jill said...

Wow, what a tough kid. Our prayers are with you. God bless, Jill & Ryan.